14 March 2008

God's Power

Some friends of mine, Chris and Emily McGowan, are going through a lot right now with their new son, Cohen. Back in November they found out that their son was diagnosed with Thanatophoric Dysplasia (Emily gave a good definition in this post). Our first prayer was that God would perform a miracle and heal Cohen so that he could live a full and healthy life. The second prayer was that if that was NOT God's will, then Emily would be able to at least hold Cohen before he died.

A week and a day ago, I was about to get on the plane to head to Brazil when Kelly called. She had meant to call Jessica, but hit the wrong speed dial :) But I was glad she did! Emily was going in for her C-section a couple of weeks early and was calling to update Jessica. She told me what she knew at the time, but I got on the plane with a heavy heart and prayed for them all on the way to Brazil. When we landed and I turned on my phone, Kelly's text message had good news!

"Cohen is breathing on his own. Certainly has a form of dysplasia, looking at days, may be able to take him home."

WOW! Our God is a GOOD God! Later that day, we received an email from a guy at work who is also friends with the McGowans and gave more details, praising God for this miracle. As I read the words, tears streamed down my face with all God had done and was doing!

It's been a week and a day and Cohen is between breathing on his own and needing oxygen. He's been taking bottles and eating well too! But, there is still a long way to go. I have no idea what Chris and Emily are feeling or are going through right now, but I know that it isn't easy. It's incredible to watch them cling to our Lord through it all and remember that every minute they have with Cohen is precious. They also know that God is in control and whatever happens, He will be glorified.

My prayer right now is three-fold. One, I pray with all of my heart that God will heal Cohen. He has shown His power and might just by letting Cohen come into this world and be with us for this long. Two, I hope so badly that Chris and Em will see at least a glimpse (if not much more!) of how God is using this. I've already talked to and heard from people who have been touched by the situation and as a result... God's name is being praised! Three, I pray that Cohen will one day know how his life has been used by God :)

Please be in prayer for this precious family. Their older son, Cort, is at his grandparents this weekend. Pray for him too as things are not "normal" for him right now and his little heart may not understand at all what is going on.

They have been good about updating their blog, so keep checking so you can keep praying. Thanks!! http://cortmcgowan.blogspot.com/

No comments: