03 March 2006

J'adore Paris!


I admit, I've been a fanatic about watching The Batchelor: Paris. But I'll also admit that this is the first Batchelor I've ever watched... the reason? Well, I don't know why I haven't watched it up until this point. Maybe it's partly because I've been convicted of watching too much tv (yes, I actually gave up television for Lent!) and so I didn't really want to watch yet one more show. However, I love Paris, so I couldn't resist. Had I known this season of The Batchelor was going to be in Paris I so would have applied to be one of the girls! But, that's a whole other post for a later date.

In 2004 alone I went to Paris 4 different times. So, by the time I had just barely turned 26 I had ventured to Paris about 6 times in my life (I don't say this to be a snob, circumstances just allowed me to go this many times!). My mom is a French teacher and so I grew up hearing about France and especially Paris. So, by the time I got to go at the tender age of 16 I was beyond excited. People warned me about it... "It's dirty," they said. "Parisians are rude to Americans," they said. So I guess I was a little apprehensive, but once I got there, the ambiance, the lights, the romance, the food and the sites all got me. Granted, there was no romance for me as a 16 year old on a high school orchestra trip, but you could feel it all the same.

There's just something about knowing your way around a foreign city, knowing how to use the public transportation, knowing where to shop, knowing which bridge is your favorite and knowing where that petite café is that you adore. I guess some of it too has to do with the fact that I have the posibility to blend it a little. I can speak some French and I have dark hair and a petite frame so I guess I can blend in, which always helps. I LOVE THAT CITY! I guess I've been going through withdrawls since last fall. Maybe because it had been a year since I had been there, who knows.

Anyway, I don't know when I'll be able to go again. But, if you're ever in Barnes&Noble check by the map section because I seem to keep drifting over there and admiring the maps of Paris trying to decide where my apartment should be located...

No comments: